“You’re soaking in it.”
Remember Madge? I do.
I soaked in it some 30 years ago, cast as Madge’s rather surprised customer in a Palmolive commercial. Madge was the iconic manicurist, who for 27 years, held court in the salon while tending to women’s cuticles with her trademark soaking solution. Who ever came up with that concept was brilliant! A dish detergent so soft on hands it could be considered a beauty treatment.
Madge’s real name was Jan Miner and she was an accomplished stage and radio actress long before she ever picked up a nail file. She was, as you’d expect, a real character and I loved my 2 days in her company (even if I was soaking in dish soap).
Jan was afraid of flying so she, her husband and their 2 fluffy lap dogs traveled everywhere by car. On trips to shoot locations they had company. Securely strapped into the back seat were 2 hermetically sealed wig boxes containing the perfectly identical, perfectly coiffed Madge hair. It was amazing that in a 3 decade stint as Palmolive’s IT girl Madge’s hairstyle remained constant. It worked for her. I think back 30 years ago and I sported a fluffy Farrah Fawcett flip which morphed into 80’s Big hair. Thank goodness time and I moved on. My approach to ‘beauty’ now, as I mature, is less is more.
This is a kind of a roundabout way to introduce a new red shoe topic. Friends suggested I do (re)freshers…things that transform how we feel (instantly). So with Madge’s help here is the introductory post.
Top 5 (re)freshers….transform in a flash
- Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel — this stuff is amazing it offers a beautiful soft golden colour (guaranteed) to all skin tones. You look rested and bright even if you’ve been shoveling snow or sloshing through rain and nowhere near a palm tree or sun!
- Crest White Strips. Even my dentist loves these. They have a sensitive version now so almost everyone can wear them.
- Pedicure – my local spa has a signature one that takes 90 minutes but you get NEW feet in the deal. Seems worth it!
- Green Drink – check out Red Shoe blogs March 4/April 8
- Walk, run, bike or do any work out of any kind…you’ll feel great upon completion…filled with happy-making endorphins!
Madge must have doled out countless beauty tips in her 27 years. I hope she approves!
Donna McRae says
Wow Cheryl, it’s hard to imagine that I was likely watching you soak in Madge’s dish soap 🙂
Thanks for the hints on transforming, I will be trying these out!