New Year….New Beginning. It’s filled with optimism, anticipation and hope.
We start by finding a quiet space and with pen in hand, open the new journal gently smoothing the first page. The blankness represents anything and everything…all that can be. We take a deep breath it’s a beautiful moment. Time to begin. We lovingly put pen to paper and write our dreams and what we resolve to do, be or have this year. Hope springs eternal. We complete the task pleased we’ve taken the first step. This is going to be a great year!
Some of will never open the book again, others will make it through the first 2 weeks of January before abandoning those great intentions, a very few, highly disciplined, atypical anomalies will make through the year on task.
With such good intentions why do we fail so miserably? I think it’s because our desire for change and improvement creates such an overwhelming monster of enthusiasm that we become immobilized unable to work with so many great ideas.
This year try the minimalist’s approach to New Year’s resolutions. Pick ONE word that sums up your intention. Will it be a verb like hope, act, leap, dream, believe, GO or start? Or a noun like gratitude, travel, stretch, health, prosperity, play or trust?
Whatever it is it’s your ONE WORD all year.
Once you’ve identified your ONE WORD keep it top of mind.
- Be creative.
- Write word on the first page of your new journal. Make it big and bold, paint it, colour it…bring it to life!
- Fill your desktop background with word.
- Draw or paint word on recipe cards (what I do) and post all over house, car, office.
- Make it phone background or wallpaper.
- Put it on post-it notes…tuck in wallet, purse or cosmetic bag.
- Write it on your dirty car.
- Carve it in a tree.
- Spell it in letter pancakes.
- Put it on your bedside table in a beautiful frame make it the first thing you see in the morning and the last thing you see at night.
- Doodle your word.
- Tattoo it on (kidding).
- Put it on a t-shirt and wear it. Check this out – Wear Your Wisdom (more on this in the next few weeks)
You have 365 days to work with.
May the year ahead be characterized by the ONE thing most important to You!
Happy New Year!