We all have one. An inner genius. She shows up when we get out of our heads and into our hearts. In that deep pool of wisdom we find the A-Ha’s, epiphanies and revelations.
The head can be a bit of a bully and in a wrestling match with the heart often the victor. You can see where the pushiness comes from, it is after all, the depository of all our accumulated knowledge. We take pride in what we know…..we rest on it….we applaud it…..we stake our lives on it.
But what about this….have you ever experienced a stroke of brilliance where an answer to question or a solution to a problem just flowed from you? Maybe it was insight or understanding that dawned and you came to a deeper level of compassion, empathy or forgiveness for yourself or someone else.
That’s the genius of the heart. It takes us further and deeper than we ‘thought’.
My inner genius has been showing up. Every Tuesday, for 10 weeks, I’m a practice client for a friend getting her certification as a Life Coach. Every session starts with deep breaths into the heart. She introduces a theme and with gentle, soothing prompts (and more heart breathing) asks what comes up for me. It’s really interesting as the wisdom stored within comes flowing out.
The deep wisdom …deeper than anything our minds can conjure just waits to be called upon. When I was a corporate trainer I started sessions with a big dose of humor. It opened the hearts of participants and allowed integration of the mind. Outcomes always exceeded expectation. I can take credit for engaging their hearts in preparation for the work ahead. The brilliance that followed came from them.
As we embark on Life Part II and become all we were meant to be I suggest we open our hearts. We can ask the big questions, receive insight from a pool of infinite wisdom and then chart the course.
OPEN YOUR HEART – Choose one that resonates with You
- From Christine Northrup author of Women’s Bodies, Women’s Minds among others. Sit comfortably. For 2 minutes take long slow breaths. Breathe a smile into your heart with each breath. (I love this one)
- Close eyes. Take 5 deep breaths. Continue breathing and visualize the heart opening. Open eyes when you feel centered and heart open.
- Watch something that makes you laugh (really laugh)….movies…videos…. humour brings deep relaxation into our bodies and opens the heart.
- Spend time with a friend or someone you love. You know the ones who open your heart.
- Sing…loud and long….if you’ve got a choir ready voice (great) if not belt it out in the solitude of your house, car, garage, cottage….(this was my method of choice as an actor..it always worked)
- Nature. Forest walks, seaside solitude and hiking in snow covered mountains have been heart openers for me.
ASK THE BIG QUESTIONS – In this state of open heartedness ask yourself one or more of the following questions.
1. What was I born to do?
2. What am I most passionate about?
3. How can I be of the most service?
4. What is my special gift?
5. What is my greatest strength?
6. How can I best share with world?
7. What is my biggest lesson in life so far?
8. What is most important to me?
9. Where do I shine the brightest?
10. What do I stand for?
11. How can I best use what I’ve got?
12. What do I most need to know?
CAPTURE THE WISDOM – have a notebook and pen ready to capture the wisdom of your own genius as it releases. The key is to record what comes up first (this is the pure wisdom from the heart) don’t question it –just accept before the mind starts to edit, apply logic and work the magic right out of it!
Prepare to be amazed at your own brilliance and wisdom.
“I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.” Maya Angelou
What decisions have you made from your heart? How did they work out? Blown away? Quiet peace? Please share.
Leave a Comment