Passion [noun] – strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something
It happens to most of us……around the time the kids launch and the nest empties, our thoughts shift to (re)imagining Life. Who am I (now)? How do I want to live the rest of my life? What is my passion?
Passion makes our heart sing and allows us to be in service to the world where we leave our mark and legacies grow. What’s mine? I wonder. The answer is inside but where? I know regular maintenance is required to keep the ingoing and outgoing channels clear so I have some cleaning to do. There’s probably years of dust, cobwebs and accumulated debris blocking the path to my deep knowingness.
I get down on my knees and begin doing the dirty work.
It’s been said when we uncover passion we discover self and return to who we truly are.
What is my passion? I ask loud and clear. I start soul searching and questioning. I wait.
Oh……and I keep paper and pen in the car, beside the bed and in plastic bag near shower since these are the places when my soul most wants to talk.
20 QUESTIONS FOR FINDING PASSION(S):
These questions are meant to be answered from the heart vs the head. To make sure the heart is speaking keep it fun and playful. If it starts feeling like ‘work’ – stop immediately your head has taken over. Pick the one or two questions that most resonate with you and work those.
Have pen and paper handy.
- Go back as far as you can remember (including childhood), remember the times you felt fully alive, fully present and connected. What were you doing? We don’t grow out of our passions, what showed up when we were younger is still there just waiting to be set free! I have a friend who at age 58 has emerged as an AMAZING wild life photographer! Who knew? Apparently she did from the time she was a kid.
- What do you LOVE? Finish this sentence, “I love ______”, complete the sentence using an ‘–ing’ verb to make everything present and active. Go deeper….WHY do I love it?
- Ask yourself – When did I believe that anything was possible? What was I doing?
- When in my life did I feel I could make a difference? What was I doing?
- What do people thank me for doing?
- What energizes me?
- What makes me happiest? What excites me?
- What am I ridiculously good at?
- Who do I look up to? Who inspires me? Why?
- When was the last time I was in the zone, in the flow and lost complete track of time? What was I doing?
- What would I do if I could not fail?
- If I could have or do anything what would it be?
- How do I most commonly help others?
- What’s my favorite section in the book store? What kind of magazines do I pick up?
- If I was able to be in the audience at my own funeral what would I want people to say? Try this simple, fun exercise for insight.
- What do I want to be remembered for? What personal stamp do I want to leave on the world?
- What am I naturally curious about?
- What did I want to be when you grew up? As well as the obvious look at skills/metaphors that these represent ie pilot(freedom), artist (unbounded creativity), writer(communicating/sharing ideas), Prime Minister (leading others).
- If I led a revolution what would it be?
- What do friends and family tell me I’m good at?
Ask the questions. Be willing to allow your passion(s) to speak up and awaken from a long sleep. The answers will come will come in the form of memories, ideas, intuition…lovely moments of synchronicity.
Finding passion is like falling in love. Everything looks brighter, more intense and can lead to transformations that you might not have imagined possible.
“Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were only walls.” Joseph Campbell
Like this post? Then sign up to have the latest RSZ YUMMY AGING post delivered to your inbox.