Do you know how you want to feel in Life Part 2?
Interesting question, I hadn’t thought of it quite that way. I probably wouldn’t have if I hadn’t picked up The Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte.
I love the fact that there’s always a new way to look at something…..a new door from which to view or enter. The shift in perspective always produces the best A-HA’s!
Before reading this fabulously awesome book I thought I’d done the bulk of the work. Identifying what I love, what I’m passionate about, what I dream of, how I want to contribute, the legacy I want to leave. I’d pondered my purpose and how I wanted my life to matter. What I didn’t think about (specifically) was how I wanted to feel.
It changes things.
With heart engaged I was flooded with feelings and felt totally, 100% alive.
Did I want to feel joyful? Energized? Inspired? Invigorated? Free? Challenged? Peaceful? Tranquil? Settled? Strong? Connected? Feminine? Healthy? Purposeful? Vibrant? Loving? Generous? Involved?
As LaPorte writes we generally think of what we want to do, see and have. She suggests that if we first focus on the feeling we want to achieve then we become rooted and able to get to the heart of the matter with increased clarity and ease.
Of course. Feelings allow us to zero in on what matters most. Feelings can tell us what the eyes can’t yet see or the mind doesn’t yet know.
Here’s how Danielle (she lives in Vancouver, BC too so we’re like family) suggests we identify our core desired feelings.
1. Ask – How do I want to feel? Let a stream of consciousness provide you with words, feelings, images, concepts…..write them all down.
2. Study list…read it over (and over) …sleep on it… walk on it…. meditate on it…(vacuum or drive on it as I do) whittle it down to 3 – 5 feelings.
3. Explore root of chosen words…look up definition…keep asking, what does (chosen word) feel like? *accept first thing that comes to mind…see if you can get to a deeper feeling.
4. Identify 5 – 10 accomplishment or experiences that will make you feel this way
5. Identify three things you can do today to make you feel this way?
6. Identify three things you can do this week, this month, this quarter, this year…..
THEN with feeling and a fire raging within … take on Life Part II!
I’m betting it’ll be more than you can imagine!
Want to give Danielle Laporte’s The Fire Starter Sessions a look? Here’s the link to her website.