“Gather up all your scattered dreams and build the life you love.” Unknown
Living your Dream. It’s not a far fetched pie-in-the sky idea. It’s not for the chosen few or lucky ones. It’s the r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y of each and every one of us.
Gotta’ like the sound of that!
Our Dreams come from our passions. Those are the things that when we’re engaged we lose all track of time, people describe us as being , “lit up” or “on fire’, we feel energy and joy surging through our bodies, we have an intuitive sense of knowledge, action flows effortlessly.
Our passion(s) hold the key to the unique ‘gift’ within. It’s bestowed upon us at birth, it’s something the world needs and only we can give. Some people know their gift early in life while the rest of us require the better part of a lifetime to understand. If you don’t know what your gift is…..live your dream because passion, dream, gift are all wired together.
Doesn’t that throw a new perspective on Living your Dream? It’s not a self-centered desire, but rather a part of a deep responsibility to contribute and make the world a better place for all.
“There’s no greater thing you can do with your life and your work than follow your passions in a way that serves the world and You.” Richard Branson
6 Ways to Live Your Dream
- FIND YOUR PASSION – if you are hard pressed to come up with an answer to “What’s your passion?” follow this link and figure it out so you can get on with the business of Living your Dream.
- DREAM TESTING – every journey is a series of small steps. Thinking of yourself as a Scientist or Dream Tester allows for ‘testing’ the Dream from educational or experiential stand points. Testing allows us to follow a dream in a fun, nonthreatening playful way. ACTION – Take one small step every day (don’t skip a day) the momentum you create is the life force necessary for lift off.
3. Set Goals – throughout the testing process Scientists set and re-evaluate goals. These are simply markers for where they hope to be, and what they hope to achieve within a certain amount of time. Goals create an immediacy which in turn creates excitement. I have my own personal plan for 2016. Some of the markers appear unreachable right now, but they give me razor sharp focus and show me where I am and where I want to be, that helps determine the ‘next’ steps I need to take. Goals inspire me to keep going, push a little harder and risk a little more. ACTION – Set one goal for this week.
4. Keep the Faith – Often the biggest hurdle to living our dreams is…….ourselves. We will all encounter self-doubt, lack of inspiration and disappointment as we move forward. Sometimes it seems easier to give up and throw in the towel but (and this is guaranteed) those that keep following the dream will be those who succeed.
5. Plan to Fail – sometimes we are so afraid of failing that we are unable to start. There we are poised at the starting line but never get beyond GO. This breaks my heart because it represents one amazing gift the world will never receive and one giver that will never know the fulfillment of giving. When my daughter was growing up I wanted her to be able to embrace failure and use it as a positive tool so we celebrated each failure as being one-step–closer-to-success! Yahoo! Bring it on! So expect the bumps and fails (they will be there) but instead of trying to avoid them …welcome them….. celebrate them….…you are one step closer to the Dream.
6. Stay hungry, stay foolish – Steve Jobs in a commencement address to Stanford University students in 2005 said, “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish.” I love that line it applies to everyone at every age. He wanted to inspire the youthful minds to not only maintain determination and eagerness but to embrace naivety and to always be willing to learn new things. That’s how anything important gets done.
Live the Dream Sisters. In doing so you will be in position to offer your gift and make the greatest contributions you’ve ever made. That is exactly what the world needs from You.
PS – if you know someone who would be inspired by this blog, feel free to send it to them. It may be the exact thing they need to hear to move forward in their life. What a wonderful gift that would be.