We all get stuck.
Unable to act we come up with to-do’s that need our immediate attention like cleaning the house, reorganizing the garage, washing the floors, sweeping the driveway, dusting the base boards or (fill in blank). We all know what’s up, we’re keeping ourselves b-u-s-y and distracted. It’s all intended to avoid (real) action.
When I get stuck it’s usually because I can’t see how things are going to work or if they will work or if what I’m intending to do is ‘right’ or the ‘best’ approach. Like I suddenly expect myself to be a fortune teller who can assure success.
So I’ve learned to call my bluff…..as soon as I start considering reorganizing the attic, ironing the sheets or cataloguing the junk drawer I ask myself what I’m avoiding and where I’m stuck. No searching needed the answer is always obvious. Then I start talking to myself from the list below…..
My all time #1. You Don’t Need to Know How to Do It.
You Just Need to Start. Jump in anywhere (there is no perfect place) and start working the problem.
2. You don’t have to have it all figured out. You just have to take the first step and then the second …and so on. Keep walking….one foot in front of the other. You will gain momentum.
3. You don’t have to listen to the internal critic trying to direct the mission from inside your head. She is working to keep you small, fearful and unsure. You are becoming FEARLESS turn her off. Find a new station.
4. You don’t have to be overwhelmed. Take it one moment at a time focus only on what’s in front of you (the past is done the future hasn’t happened). Whewwwww….
5. You don’t have to have to be an expert. You have everything you need to know right now – the rest will come – you just need the courage to ACT.
6. You don’t have to wait for others to give you the stamp of approval. If this feels right to You you’re on the right path….act!
7. You don’t have to feel ashamed of learning as you go. psst – everybody is doing that.
8. You don’t have to wonder if it is ‘right. Could be ‘right’ today and ‘wrong’ tomorrow….you have the freedom to switch it up, change gears, experiment, as you go.
9. You don’t have to wait for someone to help you. Dive in and start….summon the courage to ask for help when you need it.
10. You don’t have to feel like some people are “born with it”. We all have unique gifts it is our responsibility to stretch and build our own toolboxes.